On the 2nd day of 2018 I sit at my desk wishing I began this blog at the start of last year, or perhaps waited to the start of this one, so on January 1st I could look back over a year of content, and easily count how long I’ve been blogging in the future. But it’s not the case; I’ve been going only five months.
Nevertheless, the New Year is a time for reflection in all aspects of life, so today I set straight my blogging goals for 2018.
- Posting once a week: From now on, I will publish new post every Monday. If I wish to follow up with a smaller one, such as a song review, I will do it on the Thursday.
- Diversifying: Aside from the usual history and current events I intend to write about culture this year too and perhaps the odd personal anecdote. This is my first blog after all and by not sticking to one, specific topic, I hope to find my voice, what I enjoy writing most and what my audience likes to read.
- Style Guide: One will be made at some point this year.
- Nanowrimo: I started National Novel Writing Month in 2016, but followed the example of my two friends and dropped out only 18,000 words in. This November, I’ll see the 50,000 through.
- Diligence: For reasons mentioned below, my New Year’s resolution is to stick this blog out to the end of year at least, whether anyone reads it or not.
I have written both fact and fiction in my free time, on or off, since I was nine. Completing a finished product was always my demon. Now I think of it, that was one of the best aspects of school: accountability to teachers and deadlines. I actually finished things, whether I enjoyed the process or not!
Since then I have started a hundred projects and finished none, save for a shabby first draft I wrote as a teenager. No more.
These are my blog goals for this year! Are you a blogger? Do you have any questions or advice to offer? Let me know in the comments below!
Pingback: From the Parapet Turns One! | From the Parapet